Brought to us by Elizabeth Carrollton of Drugwatch.com
Exercise and Diet are Important to Diabetes Health
In this day and age, there seems to be a pharmaceutical solution to every problem. Even diet and exercise can purportedly be replaced with a pill or a shake or some other solution. While there are many medications available for diabetes health, including the drug Actos, some of these medications carry serious risks. So while a patient might be helping themselves in the short term, the long-term implications of certain drugs could be serious and cannot be ignored. The well-known diabetes drug Actos has been linked to an increased risk of bladder cancer. This begs the question: Can the need for diabetes medication be reduced through a healthy lifestyle?
Exercise and good nutrition are absolutely essential for a patient with diabetes. Not only can they increase lifespan and improve diabetes health, but they can also reduce the need for diabetes medications and can even help a patient avoid diabetes complications. Both good nutrition and exercise can help to control blood sugar on a short-term and long-term scale.
- Good nutrition. This is the foundation for diabetes health management. Someone with diabetes will need to work with a nutritionist to develop a good eating plan for blood sugar management. Patients with diabetes need to create a balanced diet providing the right nutrients without cutting carbohydrates out entirely. While lower-carbohydrate diets work well, cutting all carbohydrates out can create an imbalance, causing other problems along the way. Working with a nutritionist is key to striking up the right balance among calories, fat, carbohydrates, protein and fiber, along with other vital nutrients.
- Cardiovascular exercise. The benefits of cardiovascular exercise are numerous, and the list is even longer for patients with diabetes. On both a short- and long-term basis, cardiovascular exercise can help to lower and control blood sugar levels. Improving physical fitness can also benefit the health in other ways. Increasing blood flow can fight against neuropathy and other vascular issues caused by diabetes complications, for example.
- Stretching and yoga. Stretching, practicing yoga and similar activities can also benefit diabetes health. Patients who practice yoga on a regular basis decrease their stress levels, which can impact blood glucose control in a big way. Because stress and sleeping issues can affect blood sugar management, both in the short term and long term, finding ways to balance the mood and deal with stress can be extremely beneficial, and yoga is an excellent way to achieve this.
- Strength training. This is another extremely beneficial form of exercise. Building strong, long and lean muscles is key to weight management and can also help with blood glucose control. Strength training using weights, weight machines or other forms of resistance training can improve overall health while having a profoundly positive impact on diabetes health management, making it an essential part of the lifestyle for anyone who has diabetes.
- Weight loss. Not every patient with diabetes needs to lose weight, but those who do can benefit from good nutrition and plenty of healthy exercise. These are the two most important building blocks in developing a healthy lifestyle for anyone, not just those people who have diabetes.
Good diet and nutrition, paired with regular exercise, are two essential keys to diabetes health management. Patients with diabetes who want to decrease their Actos dosage and overall reliance on pharmaceuticals can gain some control over their health through nutrition and exercise considerations.
Elizabeth Carrollton writes about defective medical devices and dangerous drugs for Drugwatch.com.
Here is another wonderful article compliments of Whole Living Magazine showing the powerful combination of green tea and black pepper and its aid in weight loss. Cynthia Sass, a Registered Dietician, discusses a recent Rutgers University study that showed that consuming green tea along with a meal containing black pepper assisted in weight loss. The spice Black Pepper created an increase in absorption of EGCG in the tea by 130%.
We feature many recipes with freshly ground black pepper.
To jump start your weight loss you may want to begin implementing this simple trick combining green tea and a meal with black pepper.
What a beautiful path I stumbled upon today. The flowers sure are beautiful, the prickly cones and pine straw on the path, beautiful green tall trees all nestled upon a gorgeous spring day sky. What more could one need. I had a nice brisk walk in nature that really recharged me and a wonderful break from the busy of the day.
Do your best to get out and about and go for a walk. This time of year is just beautiful and really refreshing to the spirit and soul. Nature sure is a blessing and it is something healthy you can do for yourself that costs you nothing. Something you don’t see often.
Enjoy the day and week and make it GREAT!
If you have a place to walk in your area go out and pack a lunch, take a hike and relax in the setting of perfection where nature and beauty collide. The air was crisp and clean, the birds were singing on high, the flowers, trees and bushes were stunning sights – it was super peaceful and rejuvenating. I felt like it was away without getting away, much like the feeling of a vacation all nestled close by.
It should be called natures getaway.
Make it great and take good care!
If I could give you all the walk and a picnic I experienced today it would be all yours.
I really hope you find one near your home.
FINDING FUN IN YOUR AREA FOR LOW TO NO COST
There are so many wonderful things to do very inexpensively. Regardless to the town, city or state you live in, do a simple google search for free activities in your area, and you will be surprised at how many fun attractions and enjoyable things there are at little to no cost.
Recently we had some family in town for a visit and we found a wonderful science center in town that had so many wonderful things to explore within it. While doing the simple search we found over 100 free activities in town and learned of many new ones we hadn’t yet experienced. The day was filled with many beautiful sights including roaming peacocks, amazing pictures, and so many educational exhibits. We called ahead to see if food and drinks could be brought into the center and ended up packing a delicious, healthy and inexpensive lunch, snacks and drinks. We all had a great healthy day filled with walking the facility getting in some great low impact exercise. The trip cost a couple miles of gas to get there and $2 to park, and everyone including the youngsters had an amazing day. Find the fun in your town!
Get out and about inexpensively and have a GREAT day!
Look around in your area and explore and see what you can find. You will be surprised at how many wonderful and fun experiences you can find that are near to nothing in cost. If you plan ahead by calling and can bring your own food or eat before you go, you can cut the costs substantially and really have a fun time at little to no cost.
The total trip ended up being 5 miles in gas and $2 for parking. All 12 of us had a great day preparing our healthy inexpensive lunch. We didn’t sacrifice our healthy diet by planning ahead. We took pictures and videos, which we printed when we got home making some great souvenirs rather then spending money in the gift shop for trip memories. If you plan you can do some wonderfully fun trips for the whole family at a fraction of the cost of other things. This trip was also a healthy learning experience going through the many exhibits put on by many local sponsors. Get involved and find your free fun today!
Fatigue & Weakness
To overcome fatigue, you need to be sure to learn a balance between exertion and relaxation in your daily life. Exercising in the morning is a wonderfully effective way to increase energy and vitality. A healthy diet also plays a big role in how you feel. Making sure you get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables will supply you with the nutrients you need to combat fatigue over time.