Black Bean Potato Mozarella Enchiladas
Servings: 8 (16 enchiladas)
Time: 45 Minutes
Vegetarian – Can be made Vegan with Vegan cheese
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 ¾ cups cup purified water
- 1 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 ½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 16-oz. jar prepared medium salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 12-oz. Mozzarella or vegan vegetarian cheese of choice
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing baking dish
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas, non gmo, warmed
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup greek yogurt, for garnish
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish, optional
Start with the sauce bringing all ingredients to a boil, then down to a simmer cooking over medium heat. Combine, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Next Move to the Filling: Over medium heat start pan with oil. As soon as its hot add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, salsa, garlic, chipotle chile, and 1/2 cup water bringing to boil. Reduce to low, simmering 35 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Mash until combined. Add beans, cooking 5 minutes. Stir in cheese or vegan cheese, then remove from burner.
Next Assembling the Enchiladas: Preheat to 350ºF. Spray 13- x 9-inch baking dish with non stick olive oil spray. Put 1/2 cup Sauce in bottom of dish. Fill tortillas with Filling. Roll, and pack close together seam-side down in baking dish. Top with remaining Sauce and cheese.
Bake 15 minutes.
Broil Enchiladas 5 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes to cool before serving. Garnish with lime wedges, avocado and tomato slices, yogurt cream, and cilantro.