10 Ingredient Recipe
Vegan & Vegetarian Dish
- 6 Tbs. organic coconut oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups winter wheat berries, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. organic lemon juice
- 1 clove organic garlic, chopped fine
- 1 medium organic red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped toasted organic almonds
- ¼ cup organic green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup organic italian parsley, chopped
Over medium heat add 1 Tbs. oil in 6-qt. pressure cooker. Add wheat berries, and sauté 5 minutes, until nice and toasted. Add 4 1/2 cups purified water. Lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat, and cook 30 minutes. Release pressure using automatic pressure release, or carefully transfer cooker to sink, and run cool water over rim of lid. Remove lid, tilting away from you to let steam escape. Drain wheat berries.
In a large bowl mix together remaining 5 Tbs. oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and garlic. Season with sea salt and black pepper, if desired. Add wheat berries, bell pepper, almonds, green onion, and parsley, mixing well. Season with sea salt and black pepper. If you are interested in a little zip you can Sprinkle with nutritional yeast for our vegetarians and pecorino romano cheese, if not vegetarian.
Winter wheat berries, also called hard wheat berries, are grains of wheat with the hull removed. We enjoying toasting the grains up a bit before cooking enhancing their nutty, and wholesome chewy quality. We enjoy this salad warm served right after cooking. It is also a great salad chilled or room temperature.